Welcome to Triangle Real Estate Forum

Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.

Open floor plans are too open

Discussion in 'Home Style and Decor' started by Frances Farmer, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Frances Farmer

Frances Farmer TREF Member

Jun 7, 2012
    It seems like all newer houses have wide open floor plans. I don't want my company to see my dirty kitchen after dinner, but everything is wide open.
    Does anyone build traditional homes anymore?

Peaches Delight likes this.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Frances Farmer

Frances Farmer TREF Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I don't want some old colonial house. just some privacy.

Barista and Trooper like this.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trooper

Trooper Knows the Ropes

Jun 8, 2012
    U R So right Fran. Sometimes you just want to getaway from stuff witout leaving the house.

4. Barista

Barista TREF Member

Jun 8, 2012
    We visited friends in a house, and the whole main floor was open. Well, the kitchen had two walls for the cabinets, and the dining room had an archway wall.
    But it was weird. The ceiling was cathedrel, and very high. And the walls did not go up to the ceiling. When we went up the stairs, you could look down into the rooms, like a model doll house if you lifted the roof off.
    It was strange looking.
    I think I would want more privacy than that.

Mike Jaquish and admin like this.
  5. adele

adele Knows the Ropes

Jun 9, 2012
    wow. i like open plans, but that sounds too open even for me.

Ronnie likes this.
  6. Ronnie

Ronnie TREF Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I like open living areas. As long as I have a place to get away. Maybe a bonus room or attic or basement, but separate from that open living area.

7. He's got game

He's got game TREF Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Yeah that is too open. But i can escape to my shop.

8. adele

adele Knows the Ropes

Jun 9, 2012
    A getaway place under the same roof.

9. vinod

vinod TREF Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I love old fashioned house. i have 5 house like this.

10. Johnysam

Johnysam TREF Guest

As per my believe a moderation of openness and separation is the best. This means a good flow from room to room accomplished by wide cased openings. Each room is separately defined, but yet somewhat open to the others. This is more a reflection of our casual and family-oriented lifestyles.

11. Kate James

Kate James TREF Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Kitchen should be separate and different . If you do not want your friends to see your messy kitchen.

Mike Jaquish likes this.
  12. NC4ME

NC4ME TREF Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree. Open floor plans can be much too open. We like to cook, and want to keep odors controlled, and keep the mess out of sight for company.

Mike Jaquish likes this.
  13. Peaches Delight

Peaches Delight Knows the Ropes

Sep 7, 2012
    Even the living rooms are wide open to the hall and dining room in too many homes.
    Why bother to have a living room when it is wide open to the family room. They aren't even separate areas any more in many homes.

14. Mike Jaquish

Mike Jaquish Owner, Realty Arts
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I hear it all the time. People are not even looking for that separate LR space much of the time anyway.

15. Morrisville Mark

Morrisville Mark TREF Member

Sep 7, 2012
    What do people do to sell homes that have a separate formal living room? It seems like they are completely out of style, at least in most of the Triangle market.

16. Chaz

Chaz TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I think most people will try to sell it as a den, study, music room, library. Anything but the traditional living room.​

You can see a lot of french doors in homes with living rooms. People close them off for offices too​

17. Jammer

Jammer TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I guess you could put me in the middle. We bought a house last week. It was hard to find a floor plan we really liked. Some were too open so they did not have defined spaces. But others were so closed off and old fashioned, with doors between all the rooms.

18. Good Wife

Good Wife TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I like space, but I don't want just anyone to see into my dirty kitchen after I make a mess cooking. :oops:

Morrisville Mark likes this.
  19. Morrisville Mark

Morrisville Mark TREF Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah. We like open, but don't want to feel like we are cooking in the family room.

adele likes this.
  20. rahulrobin

rahulrobin TREF Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I love to live in independent house.