Welcome to Triangle Real Estate Forum

Join this amazing group of people and start discussing what you like.

Where are the basements?

Discussion in 'Property. Houses, Homes, Areas.' started by Sherry, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Sherry

Sherry TREF Member

Jun 13, 2012
    We are hoping to move to the area, probably N Raleigh, later this year.
    We have never lived in a home without a basement. Can we stay below $400,000 and still get a nice basement home? Can we get a half acre? Tiny lots won't work for us.

I just found this site and it looks really helpful. I hope someone can help us.

2. JBob

JBob Knows the Ropes

Jun 9, 2012
    Sherry,
    You shouldn't have any trouble finding a home with a basement. $400,000 will buy a lot of home around N Raleigh.

3. Trooper

Trooper Knows the Ropes

Jun 8, 2012
    Right. I think finding a basement in North Raleigh, or in Cary or Morrisville, etc etc, is easy enough, particulary at the price point.
    But, I would rather have a nice finished attic or a large garage with storage over it, and a good level lot. Most basement homes here are on useless sloped lots.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sherry

Sherry TREF Member

Jun 13, 2012
    It never seems like a house without a basement.
    But, I hope there are lots of homes for sale in North Raleigh with basements.

5. JBob

JBob Knows the Ropes

Jun 9, 2012
    Sherry,
    Most basements here are daylight or walkout basements, that is the basement wall is exposed on at least one side, with windows and doors. Most basements are on sloped lots to allow that. You won't see many homes where the basement is a hole cug inthe ground like up north.

6. Del Shannon

Del Shannon TREF Member

Jun 7, 2012
    It is OK when the front is level and the back slopes away, but when the front is 15 feet lower than the street and the driuveway is like a ski jump, I don't want to back out of that driveway.

The Turk likes this.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. He's got game

He's got game TREF Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I would rather have a flat lot with a shop or barn.

8. adele

adele Knows the Ropes

Jun 9, 2012
    i don't care about a basement, unless it has lots of windows. so i like the daylight basements on many homes. i agree. it should be easy to find a basement home for sale in raleigh for $400000.

9. Sherry

Sherry TREF Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Just checking back in, a year later. the transfer was delayed. Maybe for Christmas, 2013. I hope!

10. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Poster to the Stars

Jul 27, 2013

Doesn't the uncertainty make it hard to plan?

Mike Jaquish likes this.
  11. The Turk

The Turk TREF Member

Sep 7, 2012
    And headlights shine into the bedroom windows. on the second floor!

Peaches Delight and Mike Jaquish like this.
  12. Jammer

Jammer TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Wonder if you made out Sherry?
    I think you should hvae been able to find something that works. Basements are out there in North Raleigh, but never show up when you are looking for them.
    Maybe most people keep their homes when they have basements.

13. Peaches Delight

Peaches Delight Knows the Ropes

Sep 7, 2012
    I've seen those houses! Yuck!! :eek::eek:

michael likes this.
  14. Peaches Delight

Peaches Delight Knows the Ropes

Sep 7, 2012
    I would think so. I have friends who planned for 2 years to move to Cary. Thank goodness, they loved it when they got here!

15. Morrisville Mark

Morrisville Mark TREF Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Most of the basement homes we saw in N Raleigh were old and dank. Our budget limitations kept us from looking at newer homes with basements. I expect that they would be drier than old block basements.
    We are happy without one, but I know why people don't want to give up on basement homes.
    If you have never lived without a basement, you want a basement!

michael likes this.
  16. michael

michael TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I have seen some very nice basements. And, not so nice. We want a ranch house anyway, and want to be all on one level.

17. Good Wife

Good Wife TREF Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I would rather have a slab home than a wet old basement.